Saturday, August 19, 2023

Paying My Respects to Acquaintances of President Kennedy & Search for JFK's Great Grandfather - Another Kennedy Pilgrimage

Today happens to be the 77th Birthday of Bill Clinton, the forty-second President of the United States. I am glad that he is still around, and I hope he's doing well these days. I hope to meet him someday and have a photo with him. It would be nice if he could also sign my copy of his memoirs entitled My Life. I am deeply indebted to President Clinton for without him I'm not sure would have an interest in history. However, that is another story for another time.

I decided on this day to make another pilgrimage to three cemeteries to honor the memory of another President of the United Sates - John F. Kennedy (whom Bill Clinton met in July of 1963) and his family. This journey would be a light one since it would only be three places and close to where I live. It is light in comparison to the journey I took last weekend. I also wanted to be productive today because I did not want to stay home and do nothing all day.

These three cemeteries would be in Cambridge, Massachusetts and all within walking distance of each other. Since I live about five miles from there, I did not need to over plan for this trip as I had for last weekend's journey. My plan was simple. I would first visit Catholic Mount Auburn Cemetery to locate one of President John F. Kennedy's ancestors. Then I would go to Mount Auburn Cemetery to visit the final resting places of three people who were acquainted with President Kennedy and finally to visit Cambridge Cemetery, to search and locate the final resting place of Patrick Kennedy, who was JFK's great grandfather. Since I did not visit these places before, I had to print out directions to locate the final resting places of these four people. I don't know if a map of Mount Auburn Cemetery would be available to visitors upon arrival, so I didn't take any chances.

When the time came to leave the house this morning, I checked to see if I had everything that I needed to bring with me. It was 7:00 in the morning when I left the house to go to the local bus stop about thirteen minutes walking distance. I decided to take my time as I walked because I didn't want to tire my legs and feet. I arrived early at the bus stop and after several minutes, the bus arrived at 7:30 in the morning. I got onboard the bus and for seventeen minutes I sat reading a copy of "The First Kennedys" by Neal Thompson. I did not need to be alert this time because I had taken this bus to Harvard Square many times before.

The bus arrived at Harvard Station at 7:47 in the morning. I could have decided to walk and take the scenic route, but I wanted to be there when the cemetery opened so I decided to wait. I waited for seven minutes until the number 71 bus arrived, got onboard the bus, and after seven minutes of riding, I got off at the bus stop at the corner of Mt. Auburn Street and St. Mary's Street, in front of Sacred Heart Parish.


From there walked for five minutes, I turned right at Cottage Street and have arrived at the gates of Catholic Mount Auburn Cemetery at 8:08 in the morning just eight minutes after it opened for visitors.

As soon as I arrived, I immediately began my search. Even though I printed the map of the burial grounds, the search was over before it began. 

I was to look for the final resting place of Hannah Fitzgerald Miller. As soon as I looked to my right, I found her. I was there for less than three minutes.


She was not a major historical figure, and she has no books written about her. The reason why I wanted to search for her is because she was one of President Kennedy’s ancestors. She was born in Ireland in 1827 and was a sister of Thomas Fitzgerald, whose grave I had visited ten days ago at Holy Cross Cemetery in Malden. This would have made her the aunt of Mayor John F. Fitzgerald (1863-1950), grand aunt of Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy (1890-1995), and great aunt of John F. Kennedy (1917-1963). Though she passed away on March 8, 1898 (aged 70–71), she lived long enough to her nephew become elected to the United States House of Representatives. Her grandniece Rose probably would have remembered her.  

After this, I then went to Mount Auburn Cemetery, which is right next door. I went in through its impressive monumental entrance, resembling architecture created by the Ancient Egyptians. 


As soon I walked in, I decided that I would not rush to get to these final resting places for this pilgrimage. I don't know if it was the aesthetics of the burial grounds or the atmosphere of the place, but I could relax in the area as I conducted my search. The environment was very serene and peaceful. I decided I would take my time. 

I had to decide who I would visit first. After some deliberation, I decided to visit the final resting place of Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. for the first site of my pilgrimage.

Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. (July 5, 1902 – February 27, 1985), best known for serving at United States Senator of Massachusetts from 1937–1944, briefly served in active duty during the final two years of World War II, and then served United States Senator again from 1947 until 1953 when he was defeated by thirty-five-year-old Congressman John F. Kennedy.

He was simultaneously a campaign manager for Dwight D. Eisenhower, who won his election to the presidency of the United States the same year Lodge lost his senate race to Kennedy. Eisenhower soon appointed him to serve as the third United States Ambassador to the United Nations from 1953 to 1960. In 1960, Lodge was asked by Republican presidential candidate and Eisenhower’s Vice President Richard Nixon to serve as his vice-presidential running mate for that election. They both lost to John F. Kennedy who won the election of 1960. In August of 1963, President Kennedy appointed Lodge to become United States Ambassador to South Vietnam.

After President Kennedy’s assassination, President Lyndon Johnson reappointed him to represent the United States in South Vietnam and then appointed Ambassador to Germany from 1968 to 1969. Lodge was appointed by President Richard Nixon, his former running mate, to serve as head of the American delegation to the Vietnam peace negotiations in Paris, France, and was asked to serve as Special Envoy to the Vatican from 1970 to 1977. His eventful life came to end on February 17, 1980, at the age of 82. 


Upon closer inspection of his final resting place, I saw no name that indicated that he was buried there. The map pointed to this area as his place of rest, and I trust it. Apart from that, the monument resembled that of a brown stone cottage or a small dwelling place.  

After visiting the final resting place of Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. and his family, I then went to go visit the second site of my pilgrimage. It was the final resting place of McGeorge " Mac " Bundy (March 30, 1919 – September 16, 1996) who served as the U.S. National Security Advisor to through presidencies of John F. Kennedy from January 20, 1961, through Lyndon B. Johnson’s term until resigning from his post on February 28, 1966.



After stopping here to pay my respects, I took a detour and visited other final resting places of other notable people. I visited Edwin Booth (actor whose brother murdered President Lincoln), Julia Ward Howe (known for writing "Battle Hymn of the Republic"), Clement Garnett Morgan (Founder of the NAACP), Charles Sumner (former Senator from Massachusetts during the nineteenth century), and Joseph Story (associate justice of the Supreme Court of the United States). There are more that I have not visited yet, but I will return there at some point in the near future.

When I was paying my respect to Joseph Story, I then went to go visit an intended site of my pilgrimage. It would the final resting place of one of my heroes - Arthur Meier Schlesinger Jr., among the most famous historians of his time and had known John F. Kennedy since his time in Harvard. 

Arthur Meier Schlesinger Jr. (October 15, 1917 – February 28, 2007), an academic who graduated from nearby Harvard in 1938 and later became a professor of History there. He won his first Pulitzer Prize for his book on Andrew Jackson, the seventh President of the United States, in 1946. After the election of 1960, John Kennedy appointed him to be Special Assistant to the President and apart from his academic work, is best remembered for being a “court historian” at the Kennedy White House.

After President Kennedy’s assassination, he wrote a book called "A Thousand Days: John F. Kennedy in the White House," which serves as a memoir and also explained his perspective of the Kennedy administration from January of 1961 to November of 1963. This work won him his second Pulitzer Prize in 1965.

Schlesinger later developed a friendship with Robert F. Kennedy, President Kennedy’s younger brother and actively campaigned for him in 1968. After Robert Kennedy was assassinated, his widow Ethel requested to Schlesinger to write a biography of her slain husband. The book he produced, “Robert Kennedy and His Times,” which was published in 1978.

Schlesinger would be loyal to the Kennedy Family for rest of his life and even supported Senator Edward M. Kennedy’s failed campaign to run for President of the United States in 1980. His life came to an end at the age of 89, after the estimable accomplishment of having written and published thirty-two books in his lifetime. 

The reason why visiting Schlesinger's final resting place was so important to me is because of a paperback edition of his renowned book "A Thousand Days" that was given to me at a very low point in my life. I was working at a dead-end job as a dishwasher in a retirement facility and one of my tasks was to bring meals to residences at their rooms in the building. I got along extremely well with the elderly residents and with one particular lady by the name of Barbara Sullivan.

Some afternoons, I would deliver her lunch on a tray to Ms. Sullivan's room. One particular day, I noticed that she had a copy of "A Thousand Days" lying on the windowsill. I would comment on it sometimes, expressing my interest in history and for President Kennedy. In one of the final times which I delivered her lunch to her, she offered to give me that very copy of the book. Initially, I felt it wouldn't be appropriate to accept the book as a gift, but she insisted. I then finally accepted on the condition that she would write some words inside in which I could remember her by. She agreed and upon our next meeting, she gave me the book with her blessing.

She wrote, "To Manny ~ Always Follow Your Dreams! Good Luck in all that you do... You are a very special young man. Barbara Sullivan". I was touched by this gesture of kindness, and it made my whole year. I don't know what happened to Ms. Sullivan and despite trying to know, I will likely never know of her fate. Either way, I brought the book that she gave to the me years ago to the final resting place of Arthur Schlesinger. Of course, I would not leave it there as this gift has meant so much to me these past few years. I just wanted to bring it with me to this site as a memorial to her. 

I also brought my copy of “Jacqueline Kennedy: Historic Conversations on Life With John F Kennedy,” which is a published transcript of eight conversations of Mrs. Kennedy's interview with Arthur Schlesinger shortly after her husband's assassination. I bought it years ago at a book sale at my local public library for only two dollars, but to me it worth far more than that. I also brought this with me on this pilgrimage to photograph it next to Schlesinger’s resting place and to show it to my new online friend “Jackie.”

I sat in front of his grave admiring the scenery around me. I began to wonder what it would have been like if I were sitting with him if he was alive. I would have eager to impress him and ask for his advice on how to become a better writer and to ask for steps on how to become a successful historian and author like him. 

After visiting and paying my respect at the final resting place of Arthur Schlesinger, I then decided to visit Cambridge Cemetery, which was within walking distance of Mount Auburn Cemetery. Although it was next to Mount Auburn Cemetery, I could not walk directly there as there are wired fences in place to prevent anyone from sneaking in after hours. I had to exit Mount Auburn Cemetery through the entrance.

Upon my exit of Mount Auburn Cemetery, I made a right on Mt. Auburn Street toward Coolidge Avenue. 

I patiently had to walk in a southward direction toward the gates of Cambridge Cemetery.

As I was walking toward the entrance of the cemetery, a hearse drove by along with a cortege of vehicles entering onto the burial grounds. In citing this, I proceeded with caution. If the burial was within sight of where I would conduct my search, I would respectfully wait until long after everyone left. With this in mind, I went through the gates of Cambridge Cemetery after all the vehicles went through.

As the burial took place some distance away, I entered the cemetery discreetly to begin my search for the final resting of Patrick Kennedy, the paternal great grandfather of President John F. Kennedy. I looked on the internet at a website called “find a grave,” which is an online database for final resting places, and he was supposedly buried here. There was no photograph of Patrick Kennedy’s grave on the website, although there was a map that showed his supposed location. I walked down Oak Avenue, which would turn into Willow Avenue, to search, wondering what I would find or if I would find anything at all.

The location marked on google map indicated that the resting place would be in an area located right after passing the corner of Rosebay Avenue on my right and in the beginning of Willow Avenue. After sixteen minutes of walking from Mount Auburn Cemetery, here is what I found.




I found nothing. I found no marker or anything indicating that he was buried there. An employee from the cemetery drove up from his car and asked if I needed help. I told him I was here to locate the resting place of Patrick Kennedy, who was JFK's great grandfather. He asked all the right questions, and he suggested that I come back during a weekday during office hours so they could identify where he could be buried. I thanked him for his help and as I wandered around some more, I chose not to exhaust myself in this search and chose to leave it be. I would come back another time. As far as I was concerned, my search was over for the day.

 As I was leaving, another hearse drove by along with another procession of cars following it. I found it depressing that a burial took place when I was arriving, and another would take place as I was leaving. It was a sad reminder of the bitterness of mortality.

After this, I went to nearby Mount Auburn Hospital to use a restroom and refill my water container. I briefly thought about walking back to Harvard Square, but my feet were too tired. I went to a bus stop outside the hospital and waited for a bus to take me to Harvard Station to return home. Eventually, the bus arrived, I got on, and it made its way to its intended destination. Unfortunately, my bus to return home left seconds after I arrived at the station. I chose to pass the time at the Harvard Coop, the bookstore adjacent to the prestigious university that John F. Kennedy attended as a college student.

I immediately went up the stairs to the second floor and walked to the Biography and Memoir section of the store. It was alphabetized by subject, and I went to look for books on the Kennedy Family that I desired to have.








Upon seeing them, I was tempted to purchase them to add them to my Kennedy Book Collection. However, my lack of budget and my remembrance of lack of space in my bookshelf prevented me from doing so. After wandering around the area outside the Harvard Coop, I then caught the 2:35 bus to return home, where I am now typing this chronicle of today's journey.  

As I reflect on this journey, this makes this blog entry my third for this month as well as my third pilgrimage for this month. This past month I have visited six cemeteries for research and one historic home in connection to the family of President John F. Kennedy. I think I will relax next weekend. I can't believe that I have visited all of these places for the first time ever to honor the memory of a president from another time who I had never had the chance of knowing. 

I hope before this year is out to take a trip to Hyannis Port to visit the final resting place of Eunice Kennedy Shriver (JFK's Sister), the Hyannis Armory where President-Elect Kennedy gave his victory speech, the John F. Kennedy Hyannis Museum, the wooden fence outside 111 Irving Street where Jack was photographed with his brothers Bobby and Teddy in July of 1960, and to see the Kennedy Compound respectfully from a distance (like Moses overlooking the Promised Land).

As for tonight, I think I will watch the American Experience documentary simply titled "Clinton" (which aired on PBS in 2012), in honor of President Bill Clinton's birthday today. 


Regardless of what people say about him, I still find him fascinating and interesting. He was the first president and the first historical figure I learned about. Later on, in the midst of experiencing the breakdown of my parent's marriage, knowing that he also came from a broken family made me feel that I wasn't alone. I could say of Bill Clinton as W.E.B. DuBois once said of Abraham Lincoln: “I love him not because he was perfect but because he was not and yet triumphed.” He was not perfect, yet none of us are, yet somehow our country was in a better position when he left the presidency in 2001, then when he first entered office in 1993. I think that should be considered when people speak of him and his times years from now. 

I want to conclude this blog with some words spoken by President Clinton, since it is his birthday, and I have chosen to share an excerpt from the ending of his State of the Union address he delivered on January 23, 1996. I think these words should be heeded for this generation and for as long as civilization lasts. He said, "None of us can finish the race alone. We can only achieve our destiny together -- one hand, one generation, one American connecting to another.

There have always been things we could do together -- dreams we could make real -- which we could never have done on our own. We Americans have forged our identity, our very union, from every point of view and every point on the planet, every different opinion. But we must be bound together by a faith more powerful than any doctrine that divides us -- by our belief in progress, our love of liberty, and our relentless search for common ground.

America has always sought and always risen to every challenge. Who would say that, having come so far together, we will not go forward from here? Who would say that this age of possibility is not for all Americans?

Our country is and always has been a great and good nation. But the best is yet to come, if we all do our part."

No comments:

Post a Comment