Saturday, August 12, 2023

Paying My Respects to The Fitzgeralds & The Kennedys - Another Kennedy Pilgrimage

It was seventy-nine years ago today when Joseph P. Kennedy Jr., the oldest child of Joseph and Rose Kennedy and brother to future President of the United States – John F. Kennedy, was killed in action while serving as a land-based patrol bomber pilot during World War II on August 12, 1944. According to the American Experience documentary called “The Kennedys,” which aired years ago on PBS, it is said that Joe Jr “volunteered to pilot a bomber crammed with explosives toward a German rocket site on the coast of France, aim the plane at the target, and bail out. Just before take-off, Joe said to a friend, ‘If I don’t come back, tell my dad I love him very much.’ Kennedy’s plane exploded in mid-air.”

This tragic anniversary reminded me of a visit I took one month and eight days earlier on July 4. I went to the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum in Boston, Massachusetts to see a special exhibit called “Service and Sacrifice: World War II-A Shared Experience,” which according to the JFK Library website, “offers personal glimpses of a few of the many Americans who served, including members of the Kennedy family and the untold stories of historically marginalized communities, including women and people of color.”

In that special exhibit, I remembered seeing two artifacts which relate to Joseph P. Kennedy Jr.'s service during the second world war. One was his Navy's midshipman hat and the other was the last letter he wrote to his parents on August 4, 1944, eight days before he would be killed in action. His parents received that letter sometime after learning the tragic fate of Joe Jr.


It was on this solemn anniversary that I undertook another journey from which I have just returned. My task was to visit three places of significance to the Kennedy Family of Massachusetts. My reason for doing this was because since this year marks the sixtieth anniversary of President John F. Kennedy's final year in office, I want to visit places significant to him to honor his memory and also the memory of his family. My goal is to visit as many sites as I could before November 22, which was President Kennedy's tragic final day, and to share what I have seen and learned with others through social media and this blog entry.

As I mentioned in my previous blog entry of three days ago, the idea for this pilgrimage came to me when I visited the gift shop at John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum and noticing that copies of a book called, "The First Kennedys: The Humble Roots of an American Dynasty" by Neal Thompson. I then listened to interview he gave on an online Kennedy devoted podcast, and I was interested. Despite my imposing a book buying ban in myself, I gave in an ordered a copy that arrived two days ago. 


The inspiration for this pilgrimage also came to me as I was corresponding with my new friend "Jackie" through Instagram. She and I both share an interest in the history of the Kennedy Family, so we became fast friends. In the past month of July, I sent her a total of nineteen books on both President John F. Kennedy and former First Lady Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis respectively. In return, she sent me a small paperback copy of "Last Lion: The Fall and Rise of Ted Kennedy," written by a team of seven writers at The Boston Globe and edited by Peter Canellos.


She also sent me a brochure promoting the Lyndon Baines Johnson Presidential Library and Museum in Austin Texas to use as a bookmark, since I sent her a number of brochures from the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum for her to use as bookmarks for the books, I sent to her. 



This gift from "Jackie" would be my eighth book, which I would now own on the late Senator from Massachusetts who served faithfully for my home state for forty-seven years. It simultaneously became my ninety-first book I would own concerning a member of the Kennedy Family. Now my bookshelf was really full.


Upon receiving "Last Lion" as a gift from "Jackie," I promptly placed her book in my Kennedy Book Collection. I put it above my three volumes of President Kennedy's public papers and below a small paperback copy of Arthur Schlesinger Jr.’s “A Thousand Days: John F. Kennedy in the White House,” which was also gift from someone I knew years ago, which I will talk about in another blog entry. 


Upon providing context for this journey, which I am chronicling; I can now tell you of the journey itself. I woke up very early this morning, after having slept very early. Before the leaving the house, I printed out directions on paper so I would not be lost and also, packed belongings in preparation for weather conditions. In my backpack was a portable umbrella, a Captain America rain jacket, a water bottle (filled with ice and water just before leaving the house), and a book to read (of course it was about the Kennedys). I also ate a large breakfast one hour before leaving because I knew it would be a long day. I did a second review of what I would bring before leaving the house, including my keys, wallet, printed papers of travel directions in a folder inside my backpack, fully charged cell phone, and fully charges camera, with plenty of space in the San Disk to take photos with. At this, I exited the house at 5:16 in the morning to begin the journey. It was 62 degrees outside.  

I felt I had to rush to the atm at my local bank to take out money to add to my Charlie Card for transportation. The transaction was completed quickly, and I made it to the bus stop just in time. Through it was the breaking of the day, I noticed that there was still a crescent moon in the sky. 


The bus arrived at 5:32 in the morning, two minutes past schedule. Upon its arrival, I went onboard and sat down. The journey to my first location would take one hour and four minutes, including three buses so I had nothing but time on my hands. Thankfully, I had a book with me to occupy my thoughts during the journey. In noting the length of the trip to the first location, I started at chapter one of "The First Kennedys: The Humble Roots of an American Dynasty" by Neal Thompson.



The first bus took me to Harvard Station, where I rushed to get to next stop at the corner of Elliot and Bennett Street. I made it to the stop just in time and with a few minutes to spare, waited for the number 66 bus to arrive. I felt it was fitting that I was facing the school of government named after an icon whose birthplace I would soon visit.


I boarded the second bus when it arrived. As is drove in the direction of North Harvard Street, I noted the sites I had visited before in relation to John F. Kennedy as I was heading toward the place was born. There was John F. Kennedy Memorial Park, which was dedicated on the late president's seventieth birthday.


There was Harvard Stadium, where John F. Kennedy played on the university's football team.


I tried to resume my reading, though I had to alert since I did not want to be lost and I had never traveled to this location. After thirteen minutes, I had to get off at the corner of Harvard Street and Shailer Street. 


As I got off the bus, I thanked the driver and wished her a great day. I then crossed the street and noticed the corner of Beal Street, with a sign showing where the national historic site was.



I then began to walk to my first location of the day. It seemed like a nice and quiet neighborhood, though to be fair it was still very early since apart from early morning joggers, everyone else was either waking up or still sleeping in. 


I walked on the sidewalk on the left side of the street. I finally arrived at the first cite of my pilgrimage at 6:17 this morning. I wasn't sure until I turned my head to the right.


The first location of my pilgrimage was 83 Beals Street, also known as the John Fitzgerald Kennedy National Historic Site. This was the birthplace of President John F. Kennedy on May 29, 1917. It was also the birthplace of his sisters Kathleen (1920-1948) and Rosemary (1918-2006), whose final resting place I would soon visit. I had already checked beforehand and found that there would be no schedules tours due to renovations. I had to settle for taking photos of the outside of the house, which I did not mind.  







I also noted that the entrances on the property were fenced in with no way to take a closer look. 


I may be at risk to admit this, but I stepped over the bushes at the entrance and onto the front lawn to take photos of the front porch. I normally wouldn't do this, but since I had plenty of time, I impulsively decided to enter into the grounds of the historic site. As I cautiously walked up the stairs of the front entry way, I couldn't believe that I was walking in the very same footsteps as Joseph P. Kennedy Sr. and his wife Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy had when they lived here.




When I stepped down from the porch, I cautiously decided to take photos of the backyard, where construction was being done to the visitor's center in the rear. 




I noticed a wooden table and four chairs there as well and wondered if the Kennedys who lived here ever used them. I could imagine Rose, a young mother by this time, sitting outside sitting in one of these chairs with one of her children on her lap just enjoying the spring weather.


I then took a more thorough look at the back of the house. 




I then climbed the stairs to survey the land of the backyard.


To my astonishment, it was smaller than I thought it would be.  



I did not linger there for long. I soon went back to the front entrance. I took a photo of the upper left part of the house. Though I may be incorrect, but I think behind that window is the bedroom where John F. Kennedy was born on May 29, 1917.  To think that he came into the world right there. 



Though the third bus to my second location would not arrive for some time, I decided to leave earlier than planned. I returned to the bus stop at the corner of Harvard Street and Shailer Street to wait for my third bus. Astonishingly, the bus number 66 arrived, and I got onboard the bus for a five-minute ride to the corner of Washington Street and Walnut Street. 

From there, I had to take the number 60 bus which arrived half an hour later and took an eight-minute journey to another bus stop at the corner of Boylston Street and Hammond Street. After arriving there, I walked in the wrong direction until I met another pedestrian who then pointed me in the right direction. After some walking, I finally arrived at my second cite of pilgrimage at 8:10 in the morning. 


The second location of my pilgrimage was Holyhood Cemetery, where President Kennedy's parents and other members of his family were laid to rest. 



Upon my arrival there, the gates of the cemetery had been opened for ten minutes this morning so upon my arrival, I entered through the gate with my map of that cemetery in hand. 


I walked with a brisk pace since I did know my way around there and I had to be conscious of time, though I did not need to catch the bus for another hour and thirty minutes. I did not know it how long it would take to reach their final resting places and I did not know how large the area would be. 

When I saw a sign for "Field of Loyala South," I knew I was getting closer to the location.


I noticed a stone monument at the slope of a small hill-like terrain. That's when I knew I had found them. 



As I entered into the Kennedy plot, I felt as though I was trespassing on their property. I took a deep breath and entered into their circle.


Once inside, it seemed to me that the shape of the plot was oval, much like the Oval Office of The White House. This I felt like my first time officially meeting them.


In this plot, there are eight members of the Kennedy Family laid to rest here. I also noticed that people who visited previously placed seashells on the tombstones of Joe Sr. and Rose Kennedy. I wonder if they were family members or just people who were interested in them as historical figures.

Since I had time, I decided to reflect on who they were and of their stories. 

Joseph Patrick Kennedy Sr.


Joseph Patrick Kennedy Sr. (September 6, 1888 – November 18, 1969), former Ambassador to Great Britain on the eve of the second world war and patriarch of the Kennedy family, which included President John F. Kennedy, U.S. Attorney General and New York Senator Robert F. Kennedy, Massachusetts Senator Edward M. Kennedy, also Jean Kennedy Smith who went on to become Ambassador to their ancestral homeland of Ireland.

Rose Elizabeth Fitzgerald Kennedy


Rose Elizabeth Fitzgerald Kennedy (July 22, 1890 – January 22, 1995) matriarch of the Kennedy family and daughter of the former mayor of Boston - John Francis "Honey Fitz" Fitzgerald, whose grave I would visit one hour later. As a mother of nine children, she endured the loss of four of her own children before the end of the 1960s. She was a strong matriarch who while endured a multitude of tragedies in her lifetime, maintained a sense of dignity and courage. It speaks volumes to her character. She lived on to be 104 years of age, survived by her five remaining children as well as many grandchildren and great-grandchildren. 

According to the American Experience documentary “The Kennedys," historian Doris Kearns Goodwin said of her that "she just has this confident and aura of limitlessness. ...I think even Rose bested [her husband] in terms of confidence." 

I also noticed that someone left a rosary on top of Rose's tombstone. I then remembered learning of how devoted she was to her religious faith. I truly admire her for her devotion. She once said in an interview in 1973, "Faith has been of course a great great comfort and great inspiration. I think it's the greatest gift. As I said to one of my grandchildren a little while ago, it's the greatest gift. God had given me many gifts through the years, nearly every gift I think and still I think that's the greatest because I've always trusted Him no matter what has happened. I've always been firm in mt belief that He would give me the graces, He would give me the strength to bear these tragedies and that everything would... we would go along, and I think that's very important for a mother because if a mother collapses or a mother submits to discouragement then what does the family do?"

Rose Marie "Rosemary" Kennedy


Rose Marie "Rosemary" Kennedy (September 13, 1918 – January 7, 2005) eldest daughter born to Joseph P. Kennedy Sr. and Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy. It is indicated that she had an intellectual disability. During her father’s time as Ambassador to Great Britain, she was presented as a debutante to King George VI and Queen Elizabeth at Buckingham Palace.

I remembered seeing the gown and headdress she wore when she was presented to the British Sovereigns on display in a special exhibit at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum one month and eight days ago.

Sadly, Rosemary became institutionalized for the rest of her life of the because of a failed lobotomy ordered by her father when she was only twenty-three years old. Sometime after her father’s passing in 1969, she was taken to see her mother and siblings at her childhood home in Cape Cod. She passed away from natural causes at age of 86. She was often credited as the inspiration for her sister Eunice Kennedy Shriver (1921-2009) to later found the Special Olympics.

Despite all that happened to her, I'm glad that she got to reunite with her family while she was living, and she is buried next to her mother.

David Anthony Kennedy

David Anthony Kennedy (June 15, 1955 – April 25, 1984), fourth child and third son of Robert F. Kennedy who had led a deeply troubled life since the assassination of his father. His life ended from a drug overdose. He is laid to rest at the bottom of the plot. He was 28 years old. 

Michael LeMoyne Kennedy

Michael LeMoyne Kennedy (February 27, 1958 – December 31, 1997) sixth child and fourth son of Robert F. Kennedy. He was an attorney, businessman, and an activist. His life ended in a skiing accident in Aspen, Colorado. He was 39 years old. His granddaughter Josephine Ethel Kerr (September 26, 2014), whose life ended in infancy, is laid to rest with him.

Kara Anne Kennedy

Kara Anne Kennedy (February 27, 1960 – September 16, 2011) oldest of three children and only daughter of Senator Ted Kennedy. She later served on boards to numerous charities and organizations. She was also filmmaker and a television producer. Her life ended from a fatal heart attack. She was 51 years old. She is laid to rest to the left of her grandfather.

There was also another resting place of someone I did not know was there. He is simply known "Beloved Son of Edward and Joan Kennedy June 1, 1964." I do not know the circumstances surrounding this, but I'm sure it was devasting to them. This little boy was laid to rest here and forty-seven years later, his eldest sister Kara was laid to rest beside him.

These were the eight people who shared a heritage which experienced triumph and tragedy. May they all rest in peace together. 


Throughout the hour I was there, I could not help but think about my meeting with Jean Kennedy Smith at John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum six years earlier. 

The roots of meeting her also inspired me to make this pilgrimage. Now here I was visiting the final resting place of her parents, her eldest sister, her nephews, her niece, and her grandniece. It was a sobering moment to realize that she outlived them all. 

Even though I did not have to leave until 9:30, I decided to leave early. I then walked six minutes from Holyhood Cemetery to a bus stop at Boylston Street and Heath Street. At 9:44, the bus arrived, and I got onboard. For another four minutes, I sat in the bus until I reached another stop at the corner of Chestnut Hill Avenue and Eliot Street. After talking to a local pedestrian, I walked in the wrong direction, and I almost missed the number 51 bus. Mercifully, the bus driver kindly let me onboard and for another eight minutes traveled to another stop at the corner of VFW Parkway and Corey Street. After getting off the bus there, and after asking for help from another passerby, I walked for fifteen minutes until I reached my third and the final cite of my pilgrimage for the day at 10:24 in the morning, eight minutes behind schedule.

The third cite of my pilgrimage was St. Joseph's Cemetery, where President Kennedy's maternal grandparents were laid to rest. 


I went in following the map to search for the final resting place of the Fitzgeralds in the St. Anthony's Section. 


This time, I had to walk with a brisk pace since I did know my way around there either and like before, I had to be conscious of time I had to catch the bus scheduled in thirty minutes. I had to hurry.

Along the way, I felt I should pay my respects at the final resting place of Congressman John W. McCormack, 45th Speaker of the United States House of Representatives from 1963 to 1971 and before that had represented Massachusetts’ 12th Congressional District from 1928 to 1963. This meant that during his lifetime that he was well acquainted with the Kennedy Family.


Since he was well acquainted with the Kennedy Family and held a prominent position during the during the final two years of President Kennedy’s life and time in office, I felt I should stop and pay my respects to him as well.    




Prior to my visit, I knew nothing almost about him. I recently learned that he was the first Catholic Speaker of the United States House of Representatives and had voted in favor of the Civil Rights Act of 1957 during his time as congressman. For that vote, he earned my respect and for this reason I felt I should honor him by mentioning him in this blog entry.

After quickly paying my respect to the former Speaker of the United States House, I went over to St. Anthony's Section and tried to locate the final resting places of the Fitzgeralds. Despite having a map in hand, I could not find them. I was running out of time, with the temperature rising much like my level of frustration during the search. I was about to give up when I finally noticed the Fitzgerald family tombstone. I wasn't sure if it was them, but upon closer inspection I realized I had found them at last. 




These Fitzgerald family members (with no relation to writer F. Scott Fitzgerald) were the parents of Rose F. Kennedy, whose resting place I had visited one hour earlier. I did not know much about them apart from the fact that they were the grandparents of John F. Kennedy. 

John Francis "Honey Fitz" Fitzgerald



John Francis "Honey Fitz" Fitzgerald (February 11, 1863 – October 2, 1950) who served in the Massachusetts State Senate, twice elected to the United States House of Representatives as congressman for the ninth district, and the first American-born Irish mayor of Boston. 

According to the American Experience documentary “The Kennedys,” it is said that "Rose’s flamboyant father, John “Honey Fitz” Fitzgerald, was something of a noisy embarrassment to Joe Kennedy, but he left a political legacy his grandsons would one day exploit." In that same documentary, his youngest grandson, Senator Edward M. Kennedy recounted that "He knew everyone in Boston, in Massachusetts, and, quite frankly, people wondered why the Kennedys had got a strong base back in Massachusetts, and in Boston and I think all of us understand the two reasons. One is my mother and two is Grandpa Fitzgerald."


Visiting Mayor Fitzgerald's grave reminded me of a scene (possibly fictional) from a 1990 miniseries called "The Kennedys of Massachusetts," in which young Congressman John F. Kennedy (played by Steven Weber) and his grandfather, the elderly former Mayor John Fitzgerald (played by Charles Durning) walk alone together during Robert Kennedy's wedding reception in June 1950. In the scene (which would be his last), the elderly Fitzgerald advises the young Jack, who is thinking about running for the senate, "You do your best on your good days knowing they'll be bad, and you fall asleep with your conscience gnawing away at your throat. I thank the Good Lord for conscience. It's what makes the best of your days far outnumber the days of your worst..."


"You're my namesake, Jack," Fitzgerald then tells him, "...and I bust with pride for it." He then embraces his grandson, and assures him, "You're the one to carry on the family name. Family. That's the thing." 

Mary Josephine "Josie" Hannon Fitzgerald 


Mary Josephine Hannon Fitzgerald (October 31, 1865 – August 8, 1964) second cousin, wife, widow of wife of Mayor John "Honey Fitz" Fitzgerald, and maternal grandmother of President Kennedy. Though she was born in the same year Abraham Lincoln was assassinated, she lived through two worlds wars, and passed into history at the age of 98. She outlived her husband by almost fourteen years and her grandson John F. Kennedy by eight months and seventeen days. She was wisely never told of her grandson’s assassination.


I could not linger there because the bus to my next location was scheduled to arrive at 11:07 in the morning and it would take me twelve minutes to walk to the bus stop. I didn't want to rush and tire my legs and feet, so I planned to leave earlier than expected. At 10:50, I immediately had to leave. By this point my feet were tired and I did not want to walk all the way to the main entrance to exit the grounds. I was so worried that I would miss the bus, I climbed over the stone fence onto the sidewalk of Lagrange Street and with some discomfort for my feet, walked all the way to 310 Corey Street.

Though I got to the bus stop around 11:06, it did not arrive until 11:14. With my task finally completed and boarded the number 51 bus to Forest Hills, a subway/train terminal on the Orange Line and for the next twenty minutes (since there was traffic), I sat in my seat on the bus, reviewing my photos in the camera. After some time, I arrived at Forest Hills finally boarded the subway on the Orange Line, which would be headed north of Boston. To pass the time, I continued reading Neal Thompson's book.

The journey to take me back to the place where I live took me one hour and fifty-one minutes. After returning here at 1:06 in the afternoon to document my experience, I calculated that the entire journey for this pilgrimage took about six hours and forty-eight minutes to complete. Needless to say, I could not calculate the seconds. It was also 82 degrees when I returned, so I drank some much-needed iced cold water and turned on the air conditioning.

After traveling to these places and upon reflecting of the day’s events, I have come to realize that the Kennedy family has had a powerful effect on me, to the point where I have spent almost seven hours of my time to visit places significant to them. It shows that they are still relevant. They projected flair, flattery, intrigue, and mystery. Though I was born years after the lives and times of President Kennedy, but I find myself drawn to his story and that of his family. Visiting these places today have made their story more real to me. I hope I have honored their memories after having made this pilgrimage.  

To conclude this blog entry, I wanted to share another quote (as I normally do) that was relevant to what I had done today, and they had to be words said by a member of the Kennedy Family. I had already shared words from President John F. Kennedy numerous times before and I wanted to use an excerpt from someone else. After some searching, I found an excerpt from a eulogy that Ted Kennedy, Jr gave on his father, the late Senator Ted Kennedy, at Basilica and Shrine of Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Boston on August 29, 2009. 

He said, “He thought that Massachusetts was the greatest place on Earth. And he had letters from many of its former senators, like Daniel Webster and John Quincy Adams, hanging on his walls, inspired by things heroic.

He was a Civil War buff. When we were growing up, he would pack us all into his car or rented camper, and we would travel around to all the great battlefields. I remember he would frequently meet with his friend, Shelby Foot, at a particular site on the anniversary of a historic battle, just so he could appreciate better what the soldiers must have experienced on that day.

He believed that in order to know what to do in the future, you had to understand the past.”

No comments:

Post a Comment